There are some things that can ruin a day. My children arguing constantly, Catholic guilt, and plucking hairs out of my chin…just to name a few.
But, some things make me smile. With the holidays approaching, I thought I would share some of my favorite things. It’s like Oprah, only I’m white…and poor. Male readers, either stop here or proceed for gift ideas, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.
1. Wooden teethers and toys from Little Alouette. They are made by hand, by my friend Amy and her husband Joe. No paint, no chemicals…just good ole’ Ohio maple, sanded, and finished with certified organic seed oil. In this day in age, who wants to let their baby chew on anything unnatural? Um…and they’re so cute that I thought about getting one for myself. Really. Here’s my favorite teether. Tell me you wouldn’t want to chew on it!
2. Aveda Hand Relief. I could not get through a winter without it. My husband “surprises” me with some each Christmas. I’m a germophobe and work with second graders, so I wash my hands a lot. If you put this on each night before bed, you’ll never have dry or chapped hands. It works better than any other lotion I’ve tried, and I’ve tried lots.
5. To go with my glass of wine, I need a good book. I recently received a free copy of O’s Big Book of Happiness: The Best of O, The Oprah Magazine: Wisdom, Wit, Advice, Interviews, and Inspiration. It may have the longest title EVER, but it is filled with informative and inspirational articles. And I mean filled. There are over 300 pages of goodness.
6. Mammoth Crocs. Say what you want about what these shoes look like, but I wouldn’t own three pairs if there wasn’t something to them. The Mammoth’s are lined with soft, faux fur to keep your feet warm and they can be kicked off easily when wet, which is a great way to keep kids from dragging slush all around the house. Bonus! Plus, you can throw the shoe and the liner in the washer. Double bonus!
9. Matzoh brie. Looks bad, but tastes good. Just sayin’.