If you are getting ready to go out of town to a conference and will be in three different hotel rooms over a course of three nights and you’re an anxiety-ridden-worrier-insomniac who is freaking out about packing and bed bugs and making lists of instructions for home, make sure that the following happens in the two weeks before you leave…
1. Your mom moves…again.
2. You paint the interior of your mom’s new house.
3. Your mom has surgery.
4. You schedule surgery for yourself.
5. Your dog grows some weird lump on her chest and it keeps getting bigger by the day.
6. Your daughter goes to camp for a week.
7. Your best friend’s grandmother dies (not that you actually do anything for her, like make her family dinner or send a card.)
8. Your son starts behavior therapy.
9. Your son gets what you think is a urinary tract infection, but after a doctor visit and a pee sample you find out it’s a too-much-soap-in-his-bath-infection, but he gets a prescription for antibiotics anyway, because he’s that kind of kid.
11. You struggle to find something to wear to said reception.
12. You make sure to get your Ambien refilled.
13. You still don’t sleep.