So, there was this post on BlogHer’s Own Your Beauty page yesterday about authenticity and the things that make us stand out as individuals. I kept thinking about it, wondering what makes me unique. Other than my Lebanese nose (read: Jamie Farr), how am I different? It was harder than I thought to come up with a list of 25 things that aren’t typical.
I think women spend a lot of time trying to look like one another, but it is our unique traits that make us beautiful. Now, don’t get me wrong…I’m not going to stop dying my hair, but maybe I won’t worry so much about that darned chipped tooth.
1. I have big hands.
2. I have big feet. Size 11, to be exact. But, you know what? They’re pretty.
3. I hate to fly.
4. I hate to drive long distances almost as much as I hate flying.
5. I’m convinced I will die a tragic death. Probably in an airplane crash or a car accident.
6. I take Zoloft for anxiety.
7. Coffee, chocolate, peanut butter and beer are my four food groups.
8. I don’t mind all of the scars on my body, because they all have a memory associated with them. Good or bad. Even this one.
9. I shave every day. My legs, that is. I can’t stand the feel of hair against clothing. *shudder*
10. I save articles from magazines and newspapers for my daughter to read when she’s old enough to move out. Things that I hope will keep her informed and safe.
11. I think it is disgusting when people bite their nails.
12. I bite my nails.
13. I also pick at my cuticles constantly (see above re: anxiety).
14. I hate elevators.
15. And, carnations.
16. I am terrified of cats (not kittens, but the full-grown, sneaky, pouncing, scratchy kind).
17. I have a cowlick on the back of my head. In the 4th grade, I cut it off because it wouldn’t lay flat for school picture day. It looked delightful growing back.
18. I open my mouth and throw my head back when I laugh. Probably so everyone behind me can see my cowlick and everyone in front of me can see my fillings.
19. You know how people have those camping chairs in a bag that they lug to fireworks or their kids’ baseball games? Well, I still use a good, old-fashioned lawn chair. The kind with the interwoven straps.20. I’m good at painting walls and never need tape.
21. My musical tastes range from Joni Mitchell to Black Eyed Peas.
22. I’m tone deaf. Well, not really…because I can actually hear that I can’t carry a tune.
23. I constantly have songs stuck in my head and they will change at the drop of a hat. Someone says the word “prerogative” and it’s suddenly all Bobby Brown up in here. You’re welcome.
24. My favorite flavor of popsicle is banana.
25. I have a crooked smile.
I know two ways you could be different…you could be the winner of a $100 gift card to Dick’s Sporting Goods courtesy of BlogHer and sponsored by Gatorade or the winner of a $100 gift card to Best Buy courtesy of BlogHer and sponsored by Samsung.